Wednesday, December 28, 2011

our christmas

Our Christmas was pretty spectacular. First of all, I couldn't believe how LONG last week seemed. I think I was as anxious for Christmas as I was when I was a kid.

I'm also excited that we started some traditions that we can continue over the years. I remember as a kid, anticipating Christmas and all the things we did every year at that time. It was hard to grow up because those things changed. Now I'm excited for our girls to anticipate our traditions.

Our first tradition is for all of us to get our jammies on (it took a bit to convince Rob to put his on since it was only 5:30pm) and drive around looking at Christmas lights. We chose some neighborhoods that we don't typically drive through and found some great displays. When we drove through the million dollar homes' neighborhood and saw all the beautiful professionally done displays, Little Pie proclaimed "those lights are incredible!". (She really did say that!). Our final destination was a gaudy display in Plymouth that is basically every single light display you can think of set to music (you tune into the music on your car radio). We laughed at how unbelievable it was and agreed that if there was a theme, it would have been much more neat. The girls didn't want to go home, but when we did they went to bed easily and Rob and I could enjoy our annual viewing of Love Actually.

Our next tradition is to wake up on Christmas Eve morning, pop some French toast in the oven and open a few gifts from each other. Rob and I gave the girls some things for their rooms including a new picture to hang on the wall and a duvet for their toddler beds that I had made (thanks for the help Erin!). The girls gave Rob and I some new jammies (thanks Target's 40% off sale) and they gave each other some "beauty supplies" toys. 

After my awesome French toast (yes, I'm bragging), we skyped Gramma, Grandpa and Uncle Rye who are in Arizona so that we could open presents with them. The girls got some great dress up dolls and they were excited to watch Gramma and Grandpa open their gifts from us. 

We cleaned up and got dressed up in our Christmas best and packed the car for Faribault. On the way we stopped at Best Buy so I could get my new dSLR camera (with the Christmas money that I had asked for)! I'm so excited for the pictures I'll take from now on! (note: the pictures on this entry were taken with my new camera. I'm still learning so don't judge!).





After goofing off for a bit, we headed to church. Nana sang and Papa and Uncle Drew were ushers so the girls had fun keeping track of what they were doing throughout the service. After Nana would sing and sit back down, Little Pie would whisper "good singing Nana". Little Bird had a great time checking out the baby Jesus when the service was over.

When we got home the girls got to open one present from Nana and Papa while we waited to get dinner on the table. They kept busy with the cool new building blocks. Since it was past their bed time, they didn't eat really well and actually didn't make it to dessert. We got jammies on and picked out some cookies to set out for Santa. Little Pie started to get nervous with the thought of Santa coming in the house.
The girls putting out cookies and milk for Santa. They were so serious because they were so unsure. Little Pie wouldn't get too close to the fireplace.

Why so serious? Little Pie gave up on standing by the fireplace in fear of Santa coming down the chimney at that very moment.
We were all very surprised that the girls went right to sleep and that we didn't hear from them until the next morning. They waited for their owls to turn green and then they were ready to get up. It made it nice for the rest of us to be able to sleep until 7!

The girls were a little hesitant to check out the stockings in the morning and were again so serious about it. I think I was more excited about them opening their gifts!



Little Bird asked Santa for a purse and a frog and she couldn't believe he brought it!
Little Pie asked Santa for a purse and a Tinkerbell and he brought it!
We had a leisurely morning of opening and playing with presents. The girls got scooters from Nana and Papa and they actually got to test them out outside (I guess there is a plus for a brown Christmas).

Little Bird had to test out her scooter with her new Keens from Uncle Drew.

Daredevils!

After testing out the scooters, we went to Boompa and Magramma's house for Christmas dinner. The girls played really well and had fun goofing off with Lobo. We had lots of fun with everyone that came and Magramma and a fun present exchange game for us to play. The girls were in awe watching all of the adults get crazy and loud! It was a full and fun day!

We feel so blessed to be able to spend Christmas with family and to establish some traditions that the girls can appreciate for many more years!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I got a dSLR for Christmas too! :) We can learn together- I have no idea what I am doing! Let me know if you want to take a class at National Camera Exchange together!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete