Sunday, March 4, 2012

Arizona Part 1

As I mentioned in my previous post, we got to spend 10 days in Arizona with both sets of grandparents. 

Our vacation started with quite a bit of drama which resulted in a trip to the ER with Little Pie. (I'll maybe get into that in a different post). Despite having gone to bed after midnight because of the ER trip, we all rose on time with smiles and excitement. Having done this trip before, we've learned to pack better and this time we opted not to bring any strollers. It worked out well as Rob carried both car seats, I pulled our two suitcases and the girls carried their backpacks while holding onto the suitcases through the airport. I'm thoroughly impressed with their behavior and cooperation as we navigate airports, security, car rental shuttles, and car rental parking garages. 
After a perfect flight, we started off our time with Gramma and Grandpa who welcomed us with a BBQ dinner with Nana, Papa and Uncle Drew. The girls were so excited to see everyone (and I believe the grandparents were quite excited too!). The girls eased right into our "Arizona routine" and it was like we had been there for weeks.

Gramma had some great toys for the girls to play with.




Rob and I got to sneak off to Sedona for two nights while the girls got to have some alone time with Gramma and Grandpa. They visited with many of G&G's friends, rode around in the little car, played out on the patio and generally kept G&G on their toes.

We were fortunate to get to take the convertible to Sedona and enjoyed a beautiful drive.
What a super dorky picture! I wore a scarf on my head circa 1953, yet I still pulled hair out of my head when I tried to comb it.
Sedona is a beautiful place and we enjoyed our favorite Arizona activities, hiking and hot tubbing. Besides that, I don't really think there is much else to do. We were thoroughly unimpressed with the restaurants and will likely choose other destinations before returning. 



I wish Rob would have zoomed in a bit more, but between the two of us, I was the only one to walk out onto this natural bridge.
 

My new idea for a photographic moment.
I always have to do one of these pictures.
The Sedona airport is basically on top of a cliff.
When we returned to Gramma and Grandpa's house, the girls took Gramma on a hike that we had done last Thanksgiving. It was much warmer this time, but the girls did great and hiked the two miles all on their own. We did encounter a rattlesnake, but thankfully it stayed off the path!


Uncle Drew gave the girls some hiking shoes for Christmas.
The end of the trail...
Both girls were highly concerned with which rocks they would collect and bring home. They wanted to find the "perfect" rock to give to each of us.

Just a little bit harder. Little Pie said, "maybe we should ask more people to help us."

We were fortunate to have some nice warm weather at the beginning of our trip so we were able to take the girls swimming several times. They did amazing! They swam around on their own with the help of a noodle, they chased us around the whole pool, they practiced putting their face in the water and blowing bubbles. We ended each swim with a race on mommy and daddy's backs. The girls had so much fun in the pool that we saw more than one tantrum when it was time to get out.
 

We certainly had an amazing time with Gramma and Grandpa and thank them so much for having us. We all can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment