Tuesday, May 22, 2012

daddy takes the castle

Rob remains in Scotland, finishing up his second week of working there. It continues to be a really tough time at home without him. At first I didn't think it would be hard at all considering we have been home two weeks without him before, but I'm finding myself almost counting the minutes until he returns Friday afternoon. 

We have been FaceTiming with him every day around 4pm (10pm Scotland time). At least we are able to "see" him everyday, but it is still really hard not having him here with us. The girls are curious about Scotland so we have taken a trip there via Google Earth and have watched a few You Tube videos to get a better idea of what Scotland is like (i.e. it's not just the lobby of the hotel Daddy FaceTimes us from). 

I had been telling the girls about the Edinburgh Castle and that Daddy would be visiting it over the weekend. They were quite intrigued and every time Little Pie talked with Daddy she asked him about it. Finally he went and sent us some pictures.

He titled his email "Daddy takes the castle...and rescues the princesses". Here are his pictures (the captions are me talking to the girls while looking at the pictures):

Here is the castle that Daddy went to. He is going to rescue the princesses that are trapped there.
First he has to get passed the guards.

Hopefully nobody will attack him while he's trying to rescue the princesses.

Daddy better behave himself!

He doesn't want to break the rules or he might have to go to jail.

One more guard to get past!

Looks like he made it!

And the princesses have been rescued!
After we went through the pictures we talked with Rob and he asked the girls who the princesses were. Their response was Belle and Cinderella. We continued to ask them and they never identified the rescued princesses as themselves. We aren't sure if they get this "joke" because they keep asking questions about the "princesses in the castle". It's hilarious how they aren't putting it together!

I am really anxious for Rob to return and for us to get back to a somewhat normal routine. Having him be gone for two weeks really makes me wonder how single parents or parents with a spouse in the military do it. It is so tough. Especially when kids are this age, although I'm sure it is just as difficult at any age. I have so much respect for those parents who do it alone every day.

1 comment:

  1. It is hilarious to see how little minds process things. We've had a joke running for over a month about the escalator that was broken at the mall. The girls will talk about it ad nauseum...and never seem to realize that we're egging them on. ;)

    I completely agree with your comment about single parents. 95% of the time my husband is here to help with bedtime. I'm sure I'd get into a routine if that weren't the case...but I'm so thankful it is.

    If nothing else, it's so helpful to just have another set of hands to take out the trash without having to make it a community event (do your girls want to help with EVERYTHING?).

    Hope your hubby has a safe trip home to his *real* princesses!

    ReplyDelete