Thursday, November 8, 2012

four years

There was an election four years ago. I spent most of the days leading up to it on the couch with my huge swollen feet propped up, barely able to see over my even larger belly. Rob and I made sure to vote absentee just in case we would be in the hospital on election day. It was probably good either way, as I'm sure I couldn't have waddled very easily into a precinct to cast a ballot. I remember thinking, next time there is a presidential election, we will have almost four year olds.
 
It's hard to believe that that day is already here. Throughout this election season, I was brought back to those days four years ago. The thoughts and emotions leading up to the girls birth suddenly came back, and for some reason, this year they were more clear. The likeness to four years ago was just too similar; and I have a feeling that each election year here on out will bring back those same memories. 

Still, this election season was also different. I can wear my own shoes (I had to wear Rob's shoes the last few days before the girls were born, my feet were that swollen!). I'm not nervous about the unexpected. I'm not anxious about the unknown. I'm not impatient to meet the two souls we had been longing for. 

Instead I am amazed at how things have changed in just four years. How can I have such vivid memories of four years ago, but at the same time look at these girls and see how far they've come? It's amazing what happens in four years. I like where we are right now. Four years ago was really hard, but today is hard in a different way. An easier way, because I am a bit more confident in what I'm doing and I've seen us survive some hard stages. 

I love how the girls are so independent, but I get nervous about some of their independence. I am amazed at the conversations we have, but I'm confused about how to talk to them about some things. I'm shocked at how smart they are, but am wondering if they should know more about certain things. I love how sweet and compassionate they are but wonder how I help them to continue to be that way. 

Today, on their actual fourth birthday, we had no party (except for a Happy Birthday song at preschool). After a superb family party last Sunday and a fun (yet crazy wild!) friend party Wednesday afternoon, the three of us had had a little too much birthday. Instead we really enjoyed ourselves outside on a gorgeous sunny day. The girls rode their new bikes all over, we played at the park, we raced on scooters. And after a birthday pancake supper, it was time to say goodbye to the fourth birthday and hello to another year of tremendous growth.

Happy Birthday my girls!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post.

    This year -- between the Olympics and the election -- has seemed so "real" to me, too. It's bittersweet in some ways, but I am very thankful for the beautiful reminders of where we were four years ago.

    Happy, happy birthday to your girls! So glad you had such fun birthday celebrations, and a great day today, to boot. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Carrie! It's funny how unrelated things, like a presidential election, can bring up such strong memories that were previously forgotten. Your girls are smart, beautiful, kind and funny little girls. Because of you!... And Rob too of course. :)

    ReplyDelete