Sunday, November 18, 2012

the hills are alive

This past summer, we were at Nana's house playing something I can't remember, and Little Pie was frustrated with it not working the way she wanted it to. I mentioned something about having confidence and suddenly I broke into song I have confidence in me! 

Of course she asked me what song I was singing, so we logged onto YouTube and watched Maria sing about having confidence in herself. Then Nana had an idea to get the movie since it was a rainy day anyway. While she was off to buy it, I downloaded the soundtrack and the girls' love affair with The Sound of Music began. 

They originally just watched the first half of the movie and after only listening to the soundtrack twice, they could place the scenes and actions from the movie with each of the songs on the soundtrack. 

Pretty soon we were listening exclusively to the Sound of Music in the car and watching the movie several times. The girls "play" The Sound of Music all the time, Little Pie doing the part of Maria and Little Bird the part of Liesel. We shared our new interest with H&M, who come from a musical family, and suddenly the four of them are breaking out into song whenever they would see each other. 

The mamas heard of a community theater production planned for this spring and we immediately put it down on our calendars. But then we learned that a nearby high school was putting on a production this past weekend so we jumped at the chance to go right now!


The production was amazing. There were so many talented students and our kids were completely captivated. It took a bit for them to stop whispering questions to us, but after a while you could tell they were totally amazed. Little Pie did really well the entire THREE hours of the show. She never got antsy, she never tried to climb in my lap like Little Bird (who pretty much sat in it the entire time) and she never used a loud voice. (People who know Little Pie may be surprised at this, but think about it, drama is her life!) It was fun to hear them compare and contrast this performance with the movie and to hear them point out their favorites or what they knew was coming up next.

I'm so glad we had this opportunity and while it was a bit long, it was definitely worth it. I think I'll always remember the looks on their faces with the lights dimmed and the curtains opened. It was pure joy and amazement. And I can't wait to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment