Little Pie is a little under the weather today. She woke up with a cough and runny nose. She spent most of the morning snuggled up on the couch watching Sesame Street, but I convinced her to get up and try a "project". She loves projects and will drop everything to work on one.
Since it's St. Patty's Day today, our projects centered around a rainbow and shamrock theme.
A great St. Patty's project for toddlers is to practice applying their color knowledge, so I had them make a rainbow. (I wish I would have had gold wrappers of some sort to put in a pot of cold, but I didn't think that far ahead). I drew a rainbow on a piece of paper and then cut out little shapes in the various colors. The goal was to have the girls glue the colored shapes in the "correct" ray on the rainbow. Since they loved our last gluing project, I thought they would enjoy this...
The girls understood what they were "supposed" to do and had a pretty good time gluing the shapes on. Little Bird focused mainly on the yellow triangles and it took some convincing to get her to add some of the other color shapes. Little Pie was really into it and narrated every detail of what she was doing. It did end up being quite a challenge to get the shapes to stick where they wanted them too and not get stuck on their fingers. I had to help a little bit, but they mostly did it themselves.
After the gluing got to be too much of a challenge, we switched to coloring and painting shamrocks. I was informed by one of these little artists that shamrocks are in fact not green, but brown, Little Pie's favorite color.
Project time ended when Little Pie spilled her cup of water and I had to put her pants in the dryer. (See that cup practically teetering on the edge of the counter right near a jerky little elbow? That's my fault...).
The finished projects...
The girls enjoyed a good ol' Irish lunch of mac n' cheese and headed off for a nap. Little Pie is snoozing but I can hear her coughing quite a bit. Little Bird is pretty quiet but I don't think she is sleeping. Whatever! Our new arrangement seems to be working really well!
What a fun time. Hope Little Pie feels okay when she gets up. So brown is her new favorite color? Sweethearts....
ReplyDeleteyou are so cute with these projects, c! what a supermom! (and I can tell you're a teacher, too!)
ReplyDelete