Thursday, March 24, 2011

no more Nuks

June 2010
I've been hesitant to write this post because I was afraid it would come back and bite me; but I think we can now officially say that Little Bird has given up her Nuks. And she did it all by herself!

Little Bird typically only used her Nuks for naps and bedtime, but she occasionally needed them during the day. As recently as Christmas, she went through a phase of needing it all the time. I always thought it was because she was teething and needed the extra soothing. I kept thinking we could wait a few more months before taking it away.
Christmas 2010
More recently, she was back to using them just for sleeping. I had a plan that we would have her give them up around the time Auntie B's baby arrived (end of April). We talked and talked about how she would give the baby her Nuks because baby's need Nuks, not little girls. She was all for it.

But all of a sudden last week when we were putting the girls to bed, Little Bird looked at her Nuk in disgust and said she wanted a different one. We only had 3 in the house so I gave her a different one. She didn't like that one either and asked for the last one. That one was no good as well and I told her that was it. She told me, "put them on the table". I kissed her goodnight and walked out the door fully expecting her to call me back within 10 minutes to give her a Nuk. Much to my surprise she went right to sleep and slept the WHOLE night without a fuss. 

I couldn't believe she had given them just like that! I had been dreading the whole process and it turned out I had nothing to worry about! I'm so proud of her for doing it on her own.

She has only asked me about them once since she gave them up. She didn't necessarily ask to have one, she was just wondering where they were. I said they were all gone and that reminded her that she must have given them to Auntie B's baby girl.  

She is such a big little girl for making the transition on her own and I'm so proud of her. She is our little miss independent and now that I think about it, I'm actually not surprised she was able to do it so easily. I think that if she can make a transition when she is ready then the transition is very easy.

2 comments:

  1. What a big little girl she is. She has always had a mind of her own; so she just needs to make up that mind. Hopefully all the transitions will be this easy. Mmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get reminded from time to time that the girls will do things on their own time...and it's usually so much easier if I can step back and allow things to happen. I thought they would NEVER transition from bottles to cups (they were 15 months old or so!), but I finally convinced myself that they wouldn't go to Kindergarten with a bottle...and they made the switch when they were ready.

    ReplyDelete