Monday, January 30, 2012

feed the kitty

We've been playing games for a while now. Mostly after dinner when everyone is home. It can get pretty hilarious playing Hi Ho Cherry-O, Cootie, Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land...

As of late our favorite is a game called Feed the Kitty. It's basically a dice game with the object being the last one with mice in your possession.

Now, you know if you've every played a game with Rob, he can get very serious and competitive. However, it's sort of hard to be serious or competitive about Feed the Kitty, but after what we witnessed at last night's game, Little Bird is going to be just like her Dad.

Little Pie is her typical dramatic self while playing this game. She has SO MUCH FUN and gets EXCITED about every roll she has. She loves to make observations about the results of each person's turn (you rolled the same as me!). She doesn't care if she has to give up a mouse or if she gets to add more to her pile. She just LOVES to play.

She is serious about dealing out the mice though. Each of us starts with 5. And it's hilarious to watch each of them roll the dice; they both grip the dice tight in their fists, shake their fists, and then splash them into the box top. I love how they think they are "shaking" the dice!


 But when Little Bird lost her last mouse and was out of the game, she threw a fit. A big fit. A terrible fit. A "I'm glad we are not in public where other people can see this" fit. Yikes. I was shocked. I couldn't believe she was reacting this way. We don't really emphasize winning when we play games (wait, I take that back I don't emphasize winning [cough, cough, Rob]). We waited until she calmed down and then we talked about how we play games to have fun, not to win. We talked about how we could play again and continued to emphasize that we were playing to have fun. (Actually Little Pie's crazy game enthusiasm helped with this). When we finished the game we shook hands and said good game, it was fun.

For our second game, it was down to the two competitors in the family.
This time Little Bird graciously "lost" to Daddy, but I think I see some serious chess games in their future.

No comments:

Post a Comment