Yesterday was our second parent/child swimming lesson. Prior to going, we talked to the girls about the lesson. We wanted to talk it up a lot so that they would be so super excited that they would forget the water was so cold. But we should know that we can't pull a fast one on Little Bird! When Daddy asked her if she was ready to go swimming she burst into tears and said "No! It's cold!!!". Uh oh.
After dinner we got our suits on and Little Bird seemed to have no problem with it. When we got to the school she still seemed to have no problem with going swimming. Guess she just wanted to remind us that the water is cold. When we got saw the pool, Little Bird still had no problem with being there. I thought we were in the clear. But as soon as they told us we could get in the pool, the crying and the clinging began. I tried really hard to get her excited but she kept saying "cold!!". The teacher suggested having her wear a t-shirt so I grabbed hers and put it on her. Then, I got in the water and turned around to grab her but she ran for the locker room door!!! I jumped out and pulled her kicking and screaming back to the pool. We just sat on the edge while the rest of the class went about their skills. She took off for the locker room door again though when I suggested we get in. I tried getting the frog toy to see if that would entice her, but she just wanted to take it to the locker room.
Finally, after sitting on the edge a while and watching the kids "have fun" I suggested we get in and sing the songs with them. I moved really fast and pulled her in before she could protest and all of sudden she was having the time of her life! She was still shivering but she was having fun. She kept saying cold cold cold. I tried to tell her that it was warm and soon she was trying to convince herself that it was warm.
Meanwhile Little Pie was a champ. Even though she was shivering, she and Daddy were all over the place. She was pulling herself out of the pool and jumping back in. She was kicking all over the place and having a great time. When it was time to get out she almost jumped back in on her own as she was yelling "more swimming!". Looks like we may have a little fish on our hands...
I'm so glad you didn't give up on Little Bird. I know she wll like it although probably not love it like Little Pie does. (She needs a little more fat on her bones to keep her warm!!) Love you and the girls..............
ReplyDelete